Winter – we’re sure you’ve felt it! But, as you wrap up warm, and sip warm drinks whilst watching your favourite TV show, take a moment to consider your skin. Just like you’re snuggling up and protecting your body, have you given your skin the same TLC?
You may think that you don’t need to take as much care now, with less harsh sun and plenty of cloudy days. And that’s the same trap so many fall into at this time of year… But during the winter months, your skin needs as much care as during the summer months – just in slightly different ways!
During winter your skin will often battle to find its balance. It has to face the harsh natural elements, before being brought into dry heated rooms, and then back out to the cold, dry outdoors! You can imagine how hard your skin is working to find its equilibrium after exposure to these extremely different environments.
So, here are some ways to spot the signs of dry skin and some top tips on how to nourish your skin and avoid it drying out during winter…
Spot the signs of dry skin:
- Skin feels tight and/or rough
- Red or dull appearance
- Mild to severe flaking or peeling
How to avoid dry skin in winter:
- A humidifier helps to replenish the top layer of the epidermis.
- Use lukewarm water, rather than hot water, when bathing, showering, or washing your face as hot water can wash away natural oils
- Look for natural soaps – store-bought soaps often contain harsh ingredients that can aggravate dry skin. Look for natural alternatives that are gentle and nourishing.
- Lather on moisturiser immediately after washing and cleansing: The Three Gems Body Butters have a luxurious feel and will nourish and moisturise your skin from top to toe.
- Include a face oil in your daily skincare regimen: Our Frankincense Face Oil works wonders for young and blemish-prone skin, while our Neroli B Face Oil is proving very effective for mature or dry skin.
- Apply sunscreen – even in winter! Even in winter, UV rays can harm your skin
- Opt for fragrance-free laundry detergents and avoid fabric softeners, as they can irritate and dry out your skin.
Have you tried and tested some other top tips for winter skin? Share them with us and let’s spread some winter glow!