As we move into summer, transitioning your skincare routine should be a key consideration.
And you’d be forgiven for thinking that because it’s summer, your skin won’t need as much support. The exact opposite is true! Between the sun’s relentless rays, lazy days spent in and out of chlorinated pools and air-conditioned spaces, your skin takes a hammering!
Your job will be to keep it hydrated, nourished and protected from these seasonal factors…
So here are our top tips for doing just that: this is your roadmap to healthy skin this summer!
- Add a few drops of sunscreen to your Three Gems Face Oil to protect it from NZ’s grueling sun. Not all sunscreens live up to their UVA and UVB claims, so choose wisely. Here is a handy guide to help you navigate the sunscreen brands currently on the market.
- Exfoliate to open up blocked pores and remove oils that lead to acne. That layer of sweat that inevitably accumulates during hot summer days clogs pores and leads to inflammation and painful spots. For a great DIY exfoliant, add a pinch of baking soda to your Three Gems Makeup Remover in the palm of your hand and gently rub onto your skin. Wash off with tepid water and pat dry! Exfoliation is especially important if you have oily skin as it helps to clear away dead skin to enable the skin to breathe.
- Keep your showers to a minimum: Over-showering or showering in water that is too hot can dry out your skin, opening the door to inflammation and even eczema! But with the summer temps predicted to be in the ’30s this season, we can’t imagine you’d be keen on going anywhere near the hot water tap!
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate to keep your skin clean and clear!
- Opt for makeup that doesn’t clog your skin, like a lightweight foundation or natural mineral powder.
- Have a lip balm handy to keep your lips hydrated, especially if you are planning on spending a lot of time outdoors this summer!
- After a long day spent battling the heat and sun, add moisture back into your skin with an all-natural moisturiser. It’ll help rejuvenate your skin and keep the signs of aging at bay for a little bit longer!
What kinds of steps do you take to change up your skincare routine for summer? Share it with us here – we’d love to know how you nourish your skin during the warmer months!